In a meeting on 8 June 1993 at the Secretariat of the International Union of Biological Sciences (IUBS) in Paris, nine international organizations decided to establish, following the recommendation of the 1st World Congress on Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (WOCMAP-I), an international non-governmental body with the name: International Council for Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (ICMAP) with the general objective as promoting international understanding and cooperation between national and international organizations on the role of medicinal and aromatic plants in science, medicine and industry, and to improve the exchange of information between them.
This Council coordinates and stimulates cooperation between partners by providing a forum for mobilizing ideas, actions, discussions, long term visions, measures in education and training in all fields related to these plants that play such an important part in the lives of human beings throughout the world.
The Council is organized to reach its objectives by the following actions:
- promotion of the organization of World Congresses on Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (WOCMAP) every five years.
- establishment of Task Forces for specific subjects which need attention and improved cooperation.
- publication of a Newsletter
- establishment of an information centre
- promotion of knowledge of the use of the traditional medicine systems
At the second meeting the Council decided to make a start with the following Task Forces:
- plant genetic resources
- traditional medicine systems
- improvement of the exchange of information with industrial users.
- improvement of traditional medicine systems.
For more information: http://www.icmap.org/